Skip to menu Skip to content
Click here or press the Escape key to leave this site now
Call the RCS helpline on 08088 01 03 02

Criminal injuries compensation

You may be able to claim compensation under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. This is a financial award to compensate for the pain and suffering caused by violent crime such as rape and sexual assault. The injury can be mental and/or physical. It does not make any difference if the person who attacked you was a stranger or someone you knew.

To claim, you must report the assault to the police and co-operate fully with them. The case does not need to proceed or be found guilty for you to be able to claim.

You should apply as soon as possible, within two years of the assault (although they will consider reasons for the delay).

You can get more information about the scheme and how to apply from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority and its customer service free helpline on 0300 003 3601.